2025 was absolutely horrible on so many fronts. I wasted so much of my life on the PhD, and was really looking forward to all that deferred quality time and celebrating with my family and friends. Two weeks before my defense was scheduled, my dad passed away.
I made a few inroads after submission to repair my life
and mental and physical health post-PhD, but have run into the other P monster now: perimenopause. I slid back quite a ways after finding out my dad had lung cancer on my first trip home in Sept 2025. And now after he passed, I can barely get through the day, let alone make progress on life goals. But I made a list anyhow. Here are my usual goals, plus some:
Health Goals
- Plan
meals weekly, grocery shop, and cook for the week, every week.
- Medical appointments:
- GP
- renew thyroid and ADHD scrips in:
May,August before US trip, and- Nov 2026: check up for blood test, perimenopause, thyroid & ADHD scrips w/ GP. Ask about getting the shingles vax 3.5 years early? Ask if I need any vaccinations for travel or to top up long-term vax like tetanus or Meningococcal vax. Ask about ENT doctors and fixing sinuses. Partially DONE! I got my first shingles vax. I got a blood test and found out I have very low iron. I got my ADHD and thyroid pill scrip renewed. I got a well person check and asked about perimenopause (I got dismissed on that one - will need to go to someone else).
- Think
about switching doctors. The Fono (4.3 stars on google) and
Victoria Park Medical Suites (4.4 stars on google) have better ratings than my current doc for much cheaper.
Update: I ended up seeing a different, younger, BETTER doctor who listened to me and actually ordered the right tests and treatments I was seeking. - I’m
not due for a mammogram, cervical cancer swab, or colon cancer test in
2026 (they all were completed in 2025).
- Physio. Ask about pain in left inside shoulder and improving flexibility and posture.
- look for physio options - at work ($79 per visit), nearby studio ($75 for 30 mins and $150 for the initial review).
Update August 2026: I somehow 'won' a free physio visit to a very nice clinic. I went and it was predictably not super helpful, even though it was a good place. The physio presented a treatment option and I agreed, thinking it was part of the free appointment, but it was not, so I had to decline. - book $150 initial review.
- Plan for two more 30 min visits to hit the $300 insurance limit.
- Optometry
book appointment for August 2026 before job gets cut.(staff gets free appointments)- get reading glasses prescription updated. Note: my 2025 prescription I got is not correct. I had to return the glasses and order new ones with the prescription from 2022. In 2026, make sure they measure what I need from reading glasses using the computer or reading from much further away. that may be the issue?
- Treat my dry eyes via drops and heating pads.
- Look through advice online for convergence insufficiency treatments.
- Order new computer reading glasses from Zenni.
- Treat
eyes better by resting them every hour while using the computer.
- Vaccinations and shots
Shingles. Get 2nd shot by May 2026 (2-6 mo after first shot).DONE March 13 2026Flu shot - April 2026DONE 10 April 2026- Bivalent COVID boosters every 6 mo:
April 2026DONE 10 April 2026- Oct 2026
- Take Buccaline:
- mid-June
mid-August (before US trip)- Dentist
May 2026 cleaningMay 2026 dental check up- Nov 2026 dental cleaning
- Floss every day
- Use
electronic toothbrush every day
- Dermatologist
- Research dermatologists & make appt
- Mole map
- Treat eczema
- start
skin care regimen and find products that I like.
- ADHD/Therapy
- Research ADHD time, energy, & motivation hacks, make list of 25 hacks to try, and experiment with them within my work.
- Therapy appt: make once I can afford it again. Focus on emotional issues and someone with experience in ADHD. My last therapist did not understand.
- Look
into ADHD coaches.
- Research
how to upgrade my mental health.
- Try to lose weight naturally: pay better attention to what and how I eat. Try eating only if hungry and in smaller portions. Stop eating when I'm full.
Finances
Update strategy to track Net Worth: do NOT count short- or medium-term funds in the NW total.DONE January 2026- Track spending.
1. Update net worth every month
2. Aim
for $350K NZD Net Worth by end 2026. August 2026: The market is a bit up and down but done!
- Stay
out of debt.
- Track
peer to peer lending returns (Squirrel & Zagga) each month.
- Keep
track of airpoints for travel every quarter.
- Continue
to check in on my credit scores via CreditKarma and NZ credit score
company every quarter.
- Use
Delta e-ticket funds that expire by Sept 2026. (Used this trick to extend the expiry
date and had to use a US VPN just to get Delta to show me flight options).
The ecert for $333 USD expires on 20 Sept 2026.
- Use Singapore miles before June. Done but I need to change the dates of my ticket.
- Review investing strategy.
- Look into alternate ways to invest.
- Continue peer to peer investments in Squirrel.
- Carefully select and invest in more peer loans via Zagga.
- Convert large chunk of $$ ($30K NZD) to USD if it hits 0.80 USD per 1 NZD...maybe? Depends on 45's shenanigans. :(
- Research buying options / put calls as a way to buy US ETFs as a US-NZ dual citizen (mentioned here and here).
- I can invest ~$30K more NZD in my US brokerage before hitting the NZ FIF limit, but I'll want to dollar cost average that instead of just dumping it all at once. Keep contributing $50 USD/mo to US brokerage account. I've decided to invest in Berkshire Hathaway shares until I hit the FIF limit. This fund importantly does not kick off dividends that would be double taxed in NZ and US - only taxed in the US.
- Figure out what to do with my liquid savings to get better returns.
2. After #1 is as complete as I can make it, research US-NZ tax accountants and financial advisors. Make list of questions. Create short-list of 5 people to ask questions to in a pre-interview. Deferred to 2026.
- Ask 5 US-NZ tax accountants / international financial advisors to ask about tax efficiency, investment strategies, review diversification and asset allocation, and independent contracting: GST registration, US SS and Medicare, deductions in both countries. Choose one to try out for 2025-26. Deferred to 2026.
Ask advisor q's re: going freelance (e.g., GST, SS tax, tax management and filing).As of Aug 2026: I have been offered a role that means I do not need to go freelance (for now).- Ask advisor about Kiwisaver - IRS issues re: trusts and PFICs.
- Ask advisor how to update retirement plans and goals. My previous goals are detailed here, here, here, and here, but they need to be updated in light of the situation in the US.
- Ask advisor and research how to update will and trust documents for international situation. Where does my $$ go and how is it transferred/treated across international borders? Who will owe tax? How to do tax efficient estate planning? Potentially get friend of friend to help with this in NZ?
3. After seeing a financial advisor, review asset allocation and diversification across all of my US and NZ accounts.
4.
After seeing a financial advisor, rebalance
Kiwisaver and all US investments so that overall, everything is allocated in
the proportions that I want them to be.
File US taxes.DONE March 13 2026 (mailed)File state taxes.DONE March 13 2026 (mailed)
File FBAR.DONE March 13 2026 (mailed)- Apply
for cc's strategically: see here.
- Try to keep my job at 0.3 FTE by going freelance. Ask for amenities and accommodations at job location:
- Office space
- Laptop
- Staff gym membership rates
- Access to windows office365 and zoom workplace accounts
- Access to project DropBox, Figshare, website, and other notable accounts.
- Access to room bookings
system and building floor plans.
As of Aug 2026: I have been offered a role that means I do not need to go freelance (for now).
Renew renter's insurance.DONE for 2026!- Contribute
enough to Kiwisaver to get government contribution in 2026-2027 ($1,042.86).
File/check NZ taxes (June/July).I owe $420 because my tax rate was too low for most of the year.Investigate how to go freelance in NZ. What are my US tax obligations? NZ?As of Aug 2026: I have been offered a role that means I do not need to go freelance (for now).- Investigate how to become my mom’s
Power of Attorney, Health directive, and beneficiary on all of her accounts without unnecessarily exposing her/me to legal risks.
Travel/Experiences/Social
- Talk
to family at least once a week.
- Text
or email friends at least once a week or once a month or once a quarter,
depending on where they fall in the contact hierarchy.
- Trips to:
- Northland?
- Rarotonga?
- ski?
- Hawaii, Iceland, London, and France?
- Go home
in September 2026.
- During US trip:
- Back up personal laptop when at home - clone HDs.
- Extend Delta ecredits (expire sept 20 2026).
- Order Zenni glasses.
- Buy stuff on list of stuff to buy while in US.
- Check Experian and Equifax credit reports from the US. (Note for future years: Experian and Equifax made me call in and order my reports: 877-322-8228--they refused me online.)
- Make plans and see family & friends:
- B - Sept 14
- H - ? she is aware I'm coming
- N/J/A in DC- ?
- local
aunt and cousins - beach 19 Sept
- Make
list of classes I'm interested in (e.g. watercolors, dance), with
locations, durations, prices, etc., and start trying them out.
- Find
something fun and social (but safe) to do for Xmas 2026 and New Year's Eve
2026-27, if I do not go home to the US.
Work/Computer Stuff:
- Back
up personal and work laptops AND make image of HD several times a year:
January / April / August/ October. - Every
quarter, check that the work back up system is working to back up work
files separately every week, month, and quarter on the first of each
month.
- Research how to improve my digital security. Ideas:
- Invest in a good high speed VPN and use most of the time on my laptop. Bought ProtonVPN for 1 year in April 2025. I find it quite slow? And I often do not use it because it means I have to change my US SIM card to log in anywhere useful. Would surfshark be faster? Do I actually need a VPN at all?
- Look
into automatic back up systems that don't rely on me manually checking
that they are done properly.
- Finish
moving all Google work files to DropBox.
- Reduce
files on Google Drive (move to two external hard drives) to be able to
eliminate my Google One subscription costs. Do I need this if I go
freelance, though? Might be a useful business expense.
- Make revisions to thesis and resubmit. Due 2 October.
Defend my PhD.- Submit PhD papers and get them published:
- Paper 1: Code + MA: in draft manuscript form
- Paper 2: MS - in draft manuscript form
Paper 3: GE&F's- Submitted and under review in Nov 2024. May 2025: Under revision. December 2025: revisions resubmitted. March 2026: in proof / production stage. April: published.- Write
and submit one post-doc paper describing results of my study. Aug 2026: paper outlined, tasks assigned to co-authors, and a deadline of end October has been set for the full draft.
- Write and submit one paper for fun. Aug 2026: the data is all messed up. I'm trying to figure it out.
Life Upgrades (now that I should have more free time and $$, post-PhD):
June 2026 (before getting a flatmate): Get a maid / cleaning service for a massive move out cleaning, including the oven, to start over with cleaning with a clean slate.Nope, didn't do this.Consider living by myself in a new apartment with good amenities (tennis court, pool, gym, jacuzzi) if my current apartment complex or apartment is sold. Do I need a tennis court now that friend has become disinterested in tennis and my right thumb seems to have gotten mysteriously injured?No, I cannot afford this.- Start paring belongings down to reduce mental clutter and in preparation for move.
Technological details:
- New smartphone. Budget: $1K NZD / $600 USD
- 5G capability
- works in US and NZ
- Android
- USB-C charging port
- eSIM, microSIM, and dual SIM if possible
- headphone jack (or i could get an adapter I guess)
- really good cameras
- slot for expandable storage
- wireless charging capability
- long battery life
- replaceable battery
- small form factor (flip phone?)
Options:
- Samsung Galaxy A54? $400
- Samsung Galaxy Z Flip 5? $900
- Samsung Galaxy XCover7? or cover8? seems to have everything I want except it is large. works with 5G n78 and n40 in NZ, n41, n71 in US; 4G 4, 5 and 66 in US; has main band 3 in NZ also 40 and 28; https://www.gsmarena.com/samsung_galaxy_xcover7-12784.php. Doesn't seem to be sold in the US?
NZ skinny 5G bands:
- n78 (3500 MHz) and n40 (2300 MHz)
- 4G Bands: 3 (1800 MHz), 7 (2600 MHz), 28 (700 MHz), and 40 (2300 MHz) for 4G coverage, with 3G band 5 (850 MHz) also available.
US Tmobile 5G bands:
- Band n2 / n25 (1900MHz)
- Band n41 (2.5 GHz)
- Band n258 (24 GHz)
- Band n260 (39 GHz)
- Band n261 (28 GHz)
- Band n71 (600 MHz)
- 4G LTE Bands:
- Band 5 (850 MHz)
- Band 4 (1700/2100 MHz)
- Band 66 (Extension of band 4 on 1700/2100 MHz).
2. New laptop. Budget: $2K NZD / $1.1 USD
- light and small-ish for traveling - 13 - 15.6" screen
- extremely light weight and thin (< 2.5 lb)
- 2+ TB hard drive
- touchscreen
- full keyboard with number pad
- touch pad
- upgrade RAM from 16 GB
- upgrade processor to be able to play the sequel to the only vid game I play without my laptop getting so hot - can I use nvidia instead?
- ability to open up base and upgrade parts myself
- I really like my LG Gram, so something similar to it would be great
- LG gram SuperSlim 15.6" Laptop - Intel Evo Platform Intel Core Ultra 7 - 32GB RAM - 2TB SSD - Neptune Blue: $2K?
- why a new laptop? -keyboard keys pop out/don’t work easily -not enough RAM for fave vid game sequel -screen hinges loose -starting freelance work?
3. Cheap tablet or similar with lightweight accessories for travel
- main use case is to research activities during travel, make bookings, email, etc. and watch movies and for entertainment on planes and during down days of travel
- can use Windows on it to work if needed (e.g. for a conference) - need Excel and powerpoint mainly
- can pair with lightweight small mouse and roll up keyboard
- small. lightweight.
- powered by high speed USB-C
- cheap in case of robbery (don't want to have to worry about it).
BREAK IN CASE OF MOVING
My current complex is up for sale. I've had a look at the rentals available over the past year. Any move will result in increased rent and I'd still not maintain my current level of comfort/amenities, so I will need to reduce my expenses in preparation.
Here is some of the pre-planning I've done, along with the $4K furniture fund and $5.2K bond and starter rent fund (see sidebar).
Start eating down my pantry/fridge/freezer and start reducing the amount of food I have on hand at any one time.
Look through chattels list from the landlord. What stuff will stay with my apartment? What can I bring with me to the new apartment? Start separating stuff I own vs stuff that needs to stay in the apartment. Is there anything perhaps that I could ask the landlord to sell to me, since the apartment complex is just going to get knocked down anyway and the furniture will become extraneous? I would ask for the beds, nightstands, the new couches, and the dining room table is perfect for a small living room when folded up to its smallest size, yet can accommodate 6-7 people around it expanded when I have game nights. The microwave is newer. I'd love to take some of the wooden shelves too. Basically nearly everything?
Look through my expenses and get quotes to reduce costs, mainly renter's insurance and fibre internet and electricity. Consider unbundling electricity and internet, since I read that they are more expensive when bundled.
Make list of belongings that I need to move, and what size vehicle and packing materials will be needed.
Start recruiting friends to help me move.
Start shopping around and meal planning to lower grocery bill - is there any way I can reduce this?
After the move, investigate if I should enrol in a different medical practice since my current one increased their prices and is no longer considered a low cost medical clinic? https://doctorpricer.co.nz/
Consider changing jobs if I am no longer able to save any money post-move. Are there side hustles or extra jobs I could take on to supplement my current job, post-PhD submission?
Investigate how to earn extra income with low effort, e.g.: https://sidehustlescience.org/pawns-app-review/
Look through all of my personal belongings - what can I sell/donate/give away/trash/use up before the move?
- clothes in:
- dresser
- closets
- under bed
- bookshelf in room
- nightstand
- top of dresser
- small shelf #1
- small shelf #2
- on desk
- in bathroom #1 drawers and under sink
- in under-stairs storage shelves
- in garage storage
- in bathroom #2 under the sink
- in downstairs bookshelf
- kitchen pantry, drawers, shelves
- patio gardening supplies
List of furniture to buy secondhand if I have to move to an unfurnished place: $4K budget
- mattresses, box springs, and bed frames - Queen & Double - $700?
- nightstands x 3: $100 total
- wardrobes if no closets or built ins: 2 x $300 each
- dressers or dressing tables x 2: $150 total
- couches - 2 seater: $50; 3 seater: $150
- coffee table: $25
- tv stand: $30
- tv: $200
- bar stools: 3x $30 each
- end tables: 3x $20 each
- dining room table and chairs - $150 - $200
- replace my desk: $150
- balcony furniture: $200
- I have: trash cans, other accoutrements (lamps, rugs, vacuum, broom, mop, ironing board and iron, small shelves)
- I have: kitchen implements (toaster, kettle, pots, pans, baking pans, casserole dishes, cups, mugs, plates, bowls, glasses, silverware, blender, dishrack, mixing bowls, spatulas, measuring cups, etc.): ???
No comments:
Post a Comment