Saturday, July 28, 2018

I Just Spent $5900 in One Go

Eek! I just put $5900 on my credit card!

I can't confirm, but that might be the most I've ever spent in one go. Even when I bought my second-hand cars and paid in cash, it was only $2750...  The other thing I've paid out that much for in one shot would be first-month's rent and security deposits, but those amounted to about $3K, max.

Then again, I planned on this purchase--and am sitting here, typing away, without glasses--because that $5900 went toward LASIK! Happy 40th birthday to me!

...I still can't believe that I went through with it. After about 20 years of freaking out about how I would never let anything like that near my eyes, then talking to my aunt and a few friends who'd gotten it done, then "just in case" saving up for it because I "couldn't think of another good medium-term savings goal," then going to the doctor's free assessment "just to see if I'm a candidate," I just went and got it done yesterday.

(!)

I think it was one of those things that I knew if I thought too much about and did too much research close to the surgery date, I wouldn't go through with it. (I did a ton back in the day already, and got completely scared off.) So I just pretended to myself it wasn't a big deal.

I even went to the surgery all by myself. I literally took an Uber there and back without any support people. I only told my Mom and my officemate I was getting it done (and only when she asked why I was taking the day off).

Doing it independently was part of some weird hang up I now have about going it alone in life after 40, I think. Something to work out in therapy for sure.

 In any case, that is enough screen time for now. It is time for yet another round of eye drops (they don't really tell you how full on the drop regimen is post-surgery beforehand...!). I'll put up posts depicting details about the surgery soon, I don't want to forget any of it so I can tell others what it is like, later!

3 comments:

Karen said...

You finally got it done! It's great isn't it? That said, I don't think I'd do it again (not regret just risk averse haha).

Sense said...

Hi Karen!

I actually kind of regret it at the moment. My visiion is blurry because of dry eye and my right eye feels like it has an eyelash stuck in it--really scratchy and uncomfortable. And the eyedrop schedule is insane! Eye drops 20x a day for a week, then 10x a day for the rest of the month. I also can't read or do much computer work at a time because things are blurry close up due to swelling. It is a lot of work and pain and discomfort for something that isn't worth it (yet).

I think it is like childbirth--you love the results afterward, but only because you forget how awful the experience is. ? Or maybe my post-op healing experience is unique? At this point I wish I'd just stuck to glasses and contacts. :/ Hopefully things will heal up and that will change!

Karen said...

Oh man. You had a horrible experience! I feel bad for you. I think your post-op experience is unique. Have you spoken with the doctor? It looks like you went with the latest technology; I'm surprised at all of the drops (although that doesn't mean anything I realize). I believe I had wavefront lasik. I don't think I put drops in so much! That would get tiring lol I did have to get the individual Refresh eye drops.

I had the procedure, was told to go home and essentially sleep since I was to keep my eyes closed and surprisingly, it was easy to sleep since my eyes were done first thing in the day, did drops and had a follow up a week later? I think it may have given me dry eyes or maybe it's part of aging (declining vision after 40 is a serious bummer haha I mean I think it is the thing that makes me feel old the most).