Saturday, August 15, 2009

The Results Are IN...

I received permanent residency. Just in the nick of time! My work permit expires August 30. Now, I have to mail in my passport and the $300 migrant levy to get my 2 year residency visa, and I don't have to worry about doing immigration paperwork for the next two years! In addition, I am now eligible for the state-funded healthcare program, and the state-run retirement plan, the Kiwisaver.

My plan still is to live here for 2 years, get my indefinite returning residence visa (IRRV), and go spend some time nearer to my parents (my recent trip has boosted DC to my top desired locale). The IRRV allows me to return to NZ whenever I want. Supposedly even after my passport is renewed after it expires in 9 years, the IRRV stickers are placed in my new passport (for a fee, of course!).

The only reason I am still here is because my job is so amazing and the economy in the States is so horrible--there's no way I could find a good job in my field close to my parents right now. They are bummed, I am bummed, we all are bummed about this, but it is what it is. I'm going to try to make the most out my job and situation for the next few years. This means: travel to Oz and the close tropical islands! and learning as much as I can at work!

2 comments:

Tasha said...

congrats! you will get PR permit as you are in the country. visas are issued when you are outside of a country. :)

happy for you :)

Sense said...

Thanks Tasha!

It's not letting me post comments on your page--but I am sorry you all are stressed out and have to move back to the US so soon!

My target date to move from NZ is also 2011. Seems strange to already be planning it but I am doing it for the same reasons you guys are: family. NZ is just too far away some days. It's nice that you can always come back to NZ with the permanent residency option. :)