Friday, August 14, 2009

Well, Finally

It's been so long since I last posted that I nearly forgot my username and password for blogger! In my defense, it's not entirely my fault. The internet at my parent's house went out and I spent the rest of my time at home blissfully computer-free. Then, when I got back to my apartment in NZ, I discovered that XBF had been in and took the modem and router and transferred the internet service that I had been paying for. It's taken about 8 days to sort out a new internet connection and service. I didn't want to log in from work and possibly blow any sort of anonymity I have left, soo...no postie.

Aside from my DC weekend, I did a LOT of shopping for clothes and random things that I can't find in NZ (like my favorite deodorant or toothpaste). I also hung out with my mom, dad, and sister every day. I learned how to play cribbage from my mom, using my grandfather's rules. I also took my family to a rock-mine near my house and went panning for gems! I found rubies, sapphires, and a whole host of other fun gemstones. Another day, I took my immediate and extended family (my cousins, at least) to a nearby beach and spent the day there, playing in the waves, burying each other in sand, and renting 6-seater pedal carts. I was able to attend my cousins sweet 16 party, which was very cute.

I also spent a lot of time with friends--a bunch from grad school, a few from college, and a slew of them from high school.

All in all, I was not happy to leave and come back to a place where I love no one in a 5000 mile radius! But work stuff is going extremely well so it definitely makes up for some of that. I'll get into that in another post. :)

You can look forward to (?) postings detailing my vacation spending, some happenings when I got back to NZ, the results of some of my experiments with my health, my adventures in trying to find a new roommate, and a writeup of everything I can find out about the kiwisaver. I have checked out virtually every book I can find on the kiwisaver from the library!

For now, please excuse me while I try to catch up on all of your blogs!

3 comments:

Sam said...

Welcome back :) I am glad you had a great vacation :)

Revanche said...

Howdy stranger :)

Glad you had a good time, and that your family time was peaceful. What are you going to do with your new gems? I'm imagining a fun do-it-yourself project could emerge from that.

Sense said...

Thanks guys (gals!)! Glad to be back! i've actually been itching to post during the past week!

Yes, family time was as good as it could get, honestly. Hmmm, that may lull me into a sense of false security, but at least i know it can happen. :)

my gems are uncut, which means they still look like rocks. I'd have to pay to have the geoids cut open and then extract the jewelry quality gemstones--of which there may not be any. I don't have the equipment to do that, so i'm stuck with sapphires that still look like rocks, unless i want to pay! maybe one day i'll get my own rock saw and gem cutter. i can dream... :)