One of my annual goals for the past few years has been to build up my wardrobe.
As a kid, like many, I wore first what my mom bought for me, then what looked good on other people, or whatever had a cool brand-name. Damned what it looked like on me, I just cared about fitting in with whoever was around.
At the preppy university I attended, I got into penny loafers, J Crew, Limited, Banana Republic (not that I could afford it--I bought cheap knock offs). I actually came to love that style and it became a part of my personality.
In Hawai'i in grad school, and in Southern CA, I went for easy surfer vibes: Roxy, Quiksilver, Hobie, Rip Curl. I really love that style & part of my personality, too.
And of course, while I am not a big partier (I didn't have my first drink until I was 18!), I do have a streak of hard rock/hip hop rebel in me that loves lower, sexy necklines, delicate studding, leather accents, smoky eyeliner, and sequins.
After 40 years of living, I know what I like when I see it (although I will have no idea if it will work on me). However, from trying on lots of clothes and different colors on, and I feel like I am finally narrowing down my style.
Defining My Style:
Default Style:
comfortable
outdoorsy, weatherproof
practical/functional
basic/boringeasy
Ideal Style:
classy
clean cut
tailored but casual
stripes
French chic but with fun details: interesting textures, intricate, small patterns. e.g. tiny skulls on a scarf, delicate leather detailing, etc., that elevates a boring top or pants or shoes
Everything as described here: The Art Of Parisian Chic: 8 Rules for Mastering French Fashion
Basically, everything on this image search, but I need more color and a few small interesting details.
Trendy additions of basics through cut, styling, jewelry, pops of color, and metallics
Also this whole page
Expensive looking
looks effortless
small delicate patterns, if any--no bold patterns
fall/winter: anything with texture, wool pea coats and trenches, tweed, leather accents, pashmina scarves, capes, cords, big sweaters, fleece, velvet, riding boots
spring/summer: navy-inspired, fedoras, metallic accents and sandals, light, easy muted florals
I really love this casual, basic look:
I also love Joanna Gaines' style. She always looks so put together--muted, yet comfortable, pretty, feminine, classy, with a twist of country. She wears a ton of neutrals but amps it up with on-trend jewelry or colorful accessories that keep her outfit from looking boring. Her hair and makeup also help keep the outfit from looking too dressed down. Everything fits her well. She looks like she could be going to work in her garden or meeting a client.
Secondary Styles (occasion dependent):
Earthy bohemian surfer girl: island-y, beachy, feminine, easy, flowy, (a few) ruffles, maybe a muted print
![]() |
| The intense red and ruffle on the shorts are a bit much but I would rock this in the right color. http://www.billabong.com |
![]() |
| https://www.kmart.co.nz/product/sleeveless-jumpsuit/2376302 (I actually own this--and get lots of compliments!) |
Club wear: Classy but tight, black, animal prints, black leather leggings, dark wash denim skinny jeans, heeled leather boots, black heeled ankle boots or loafers, sequins, small delicate studs, shine, leather jacket. Not a big skirt/dress person for nighttime, as my legs are pale and glow in the dark (!)
![]() |
| Also very much my vibe, sans the white jacket and heels. |
In this category, I also really like the looks pulled together here, though I'd lose the heels and chunky, tackier jewelry shown in some of them.
Goals
I end up wearing my Default Style 90% of the time because I have to wear long pants, shirts with sleeves, closed-toe shoes to work in order to do labwork (them's the rules). I also don't want to take the time to pull looks together. My wardrobe now pretty much all goes together and I don't have to think very much, which is good when you are tired from your PhD/family illness stress.
What I want to do is move closer to my Ideal Style, while incorporating elements of my secondary styles and maintaining the versatility, comfort, and function/practicality of my Default Style.
Part of that will involve figuring out what actually looks good on me. I'm still very lost when it comes to that. As described in the French Chic article linked above, one of their rules is knowing their colors. And this is where the next section comes into play!
Part II: Seasonal Color Palettes
Apparently this is a huge thing. I dove deep down internet holes for this one. Results coming in Part II!







3 comments:
I don't think you're petite but Alterations Needed blog (she's 4'11") might be interesting for you. She pretty much exclusively dresses in a menswear style.
I'm only 5' 4 and 1/2" so I'm petite-adjacent. Long torso but short legs, so tops are always Mediums and my pants are always too long unless I get the "short" or petite versions. Sometimes I just buy ankle pants and they are the exact right length :)
I will check out that blog. Thank you so much for the suggestion!
Yeah, I think that qualifies for petite! The other blog I used to read (I wear a uniform now but even before it was just for fun, never upgrade my look lol) was extra petite.
I've done the same with the pants before!
Post a Comment