Well, from the title you can assume that this isn't going to be about great news, right?
Something surprising happened at work today, a major change for me, and I'm still angry and annoyed about it. My first reaction was to email my bosses about how unhappy I was about it (they were both working from home today--no face to face possible, otherwise that would have been my first choice). One responded to the news with a 'How bizarre! We'll talk and fix this tomorrow." and the other told me that she not only knew about the change, but she helped initiate it. Without consulting me or my other boss about it. First strike.
This second boss decided she 'might not' come into work tomorrow to talk to me or my other boss about this change, and listed her reasons for the change, which was enacted by one of the higher-ups that I dislike (this doesn't help my opinion of him).
What was the change, you may ask? They're moving me from my lovely office with a window beside my desk and a view of the Skytower and one other officemate to TWO desks, one in a hallway in one building and one a building 15 minutes away from the first, in the basement with 12 other people. Oh, and I was the only one in that second room that had to share a desk with someone else, meaning, when he's around, I have to find another place to work.
Hell. NO.
I kind of lost it at that point. Not only was I offended by the change being OK'd without my input or my other boss's input, but my second boss knew I was upset about the change and wouldn't come in to talk to me about it to work it out. If she wouldn't come to me, well, then, I'd go to her. I wrote out an email to my bosses, listing all the reasons why I couldn't work productively like that, and the fact that I was upset and felt insulted about the change. It felt like a demotion to me. It IS a demotion to me. Everyone else in that office is just out of college, doesn't have the experience that I have, either with my company or with any job, in fact. I have more degrees than they have. I am getting a permanent contract with my company, and they are all temporary, 3 month contract people.
Maybe I'm flying off the handle for little reason here, but I am totally insulted. I hate change, but there is more to this than just changing offices.
The old me would have gone with it and sucked it up, afraid to lose my position in the company, or been too timid to convey any negative feelings to my bosses whatsoever, scared to lose my reputation as being happy go lucky and a team player. But I guess I'm not that girl anymore. I couldn't stay quiet.
Would you write something like this to your bosses? Just to clarify, my work is 50-50 between Boss 1 and Boss 2. Currently I am on Boss 1's floor. I was very worked up when I wrote it...maybe I should have waited to send it, but I would have been up composing the email in my head all night anyway. I think it adequately covers all of my feelings. But is it appropriate??
(email removed for privacy's sake--sorry)
I am really hoping that this gets resolved tomorrow! I feel almost sick at standing up for myself and wonder what will happen. I've never had a conflict like this at work before!
3 comments:
That really sucks. They should have at least consulted with you first. They really expect you to divide your time between two workstations? I can't imagine that working well at all. I hope it all works out for you, and good job on standing up for yourself and speaking out.
Just my opinion, the "and lastly" paragraph wouldn't come through nice. You've made very valid points, but that paragraph just zones the reader to that part. Workstations are enablers, and every staff who needs one for their job function is entitled to one. But that paragraph...really?
thanks MFL!! yeah, it is ridiculous.
Beingmoneysmart--it is interesting, I wrote that last para. in the heat of the moment and thought twice about it, but one of my bosses COMPLETELY agreed with it--it clinched my argument for her, and the other was somewhat taken aback by it, it seemed. I honestly wouldn't have included it but I never tout myself at work, ever, and it was time to do so, because I felt so strongly about this issue. they are very 'American' things to say, but it worked with one Kiwi boss, it seemed! thanks for your honesty, I really appreciate it. I did apologize to the other boss that didn't seem to like that part.
Post a Comment