I. feel. amazing! after working out. I need to make sure I do this every day, so I wanted to remind myself somewhere.
EVERY DAY.
Luckily today it was sunny and a decent temperature to work out after work today, so I could go on my run. I forget how much I love it until I'm actually about 10 minutes into it. After that point, something in my brain clicks off and I zone out. I go into a mechanical auto-pilot. I don't think up amazing ideas during my runs like some people do--my brain completely shuts down, in a very good way. Kind of like taking a nap?
Today was also Day 1 of the four day interview of this girl who applied for my officemate's position (officemate is getting her PhD). I'm on the interview panel, and it is totally great that I get to weigh in on who I am going to work closely with, but four days...what are they thinking?! It went well, but I could tell that she is bewildered about the length of the interview. She left her city at midnight last night, arrived in Auckland at 6 am, and went straight from the airport to our office building to start her interview. I can't imagine...a full day interview on no sleep?! Poor thing...
My portion of the day was just getting to know her and seeing if we could get along well enough to do the job together if my bosses decide that she fits the position. I also was in charge of telling her about the job and the specific details of the projects that I do, and getting a feel for whether she could handle the duties of the position & had the necessary background. She seems fantastic, and I'd think she'd fit in just fine.
But still, this other freelancer girl is vying for the position. She already fits in well and is doing the work required of the position. She basically has it locked. I don't know what is going to happen now. I feel so bad for this interview girl, that she is spending so much time and energy on this!
To add insult to injury, our in-house asst. director, who is for some reason in charge of her schedule, surprised the interview girl today and told her she had to give a presentation on Wednesday. A day and a half away. Whhaaaaa?? That should definitely be something that is communicated to the interviewee before traveling 6 hours by plane. This isn't a test of her flexibility, either--it is just that our guy is SO BAD at his job that he failed to tell her until today. I think I would have started crying if someone told me that during a four day interview.
He also decided, on a whim, that my officemate and I were going to dinner with her tonight. Unfortunately, we both have plans this evening, so we can't make it. That just makes us look really bad as a company! How about checking with me before you schedule my off-time, buddy?! Also, he scheduled me to give her a tour of our labs tomorrow at 2 pm, but I already have another meeting at that time that I can't get out of! AND the lab managers need at least three days' notice if they are needed after 1 pm, because of their semi-retirement schedule. He also thinks that we can walk from campus to a restaurant that is 15 minutes away, order, eat, and walk back in an hour. Hahahaha. I told him my suggestions for his schedule last week (not knowing that *I* was the one doing the lab tour), but he didn't change one thing on it. I've already complained to my bosses that this was unacceptable and completely unprofessional.
Also weird? I don't think they are advertising this position. I can't find any evidence of it online and the interview girl told me that she heard about it through one of my bosses. Maybe my boss is trying to keep my old co-worker from finding out about it because she told my old coworker that there was no money for her position anymore when she didn't renew her contract? (In reality, my boss didn't like working with this particular employee, nor did anyone else.) Odd...
3 comments:
Um. Bizarre, to say the least.
is that tekapo?
Anonymous: what? no. We're in Auckland, the interview girl was from Australia.
Post a Comment