I love simple, daily activities that have a lasting impact on your health or happiness or wealth, like flossing. Small changes that do BIG things: less than 30 seconds of your life a day in exchange for YEARS of your life later. What other kinds of activities are like that? I'm looking for answers.
Along the same vein, I've been reading about the 80/20 rule. Basically, 20 percent of my habits probably contribute to 80% of my problems. I've identified the main habit that is the MOST hurtful to me:
I stay up too late surfing the internet. It is hurtful because it causes a domino-effect on my day:
1) This causes me to feel groggy at work the next day or waste most of the day sleeping.
2) This makes me feel guilty for sleeping late or being lazy at work.
3) This makes me work much later at night until I'm so ravenous I have to stop and go home.
4) Sometimes I eat crap at work because I'm so hungry around 5-6 pm.
5) Usually by the time I get home, it is too dark to go outside and run, plus I have to eat right away so that takes up another hour even if I get home when it is light outside. So now I'm fat AND tired.
6) The cycle continues.
So. It seems I need to establish some sort of daily habit like flossing which will make me put down my computer at a reasonable hour. There are other, contributing factors:
I take baths instead showers in the evenings. This habit is hurtful because it:
1) wastes money and time and water. I tend to read or zone out in the tub, extending my time in there by up to an hour or more sometimes!
2) I have a roommate, so I have to be careful when I take my baths so that it doesn't interrupt his schedule or need to use the 1 bathroom we have in our apartment. This usually means I wait until he goes to bed to take my bath, which means I take it very late. Then comes the wet hair problem!
3) I can't go to bed before my hair dries, otherwise I get a cold. (It never fails, I don't know why this is, but it happens every. single. time.)
3a) I stay up later, justifying my computer use while my hair dries.
3b) I can't go to work with wet hair, so I need to shower in the evenings (my hair takes 2-3 hours to dry--it is very very fine and for some reason holds onto moisture very well. My hairdresser said that is how it is sometimes, my hair isn't damaged or anything, in fact the exact opposite--probably because I NEVER use heat instruments like hair dryers or curling or flat irons on it, ever.)
3c) I don't own a hair dryer and refuse to subject my hair and hearing to unnecessary damage.
To be held accountable, I will do the following in 2011:
1) I will take showers instead of baths in the evenings, unless I need to soak sore muscles (eg, after a looong hike or other strenuous activity) by 9 pm. (June update: started off well, back to old habits)
2) Shut off my computer by 11 pm, midnight on weekends. (yes, this is early for me). No ifs, ands, or buts. I HAVE to get everything done by 11. No excuses. Whew. This one will be HARD. (June update: started off well, back to old habits)
3) Turn off my light by midnight, 1 am on weekends. (June update: started off well, back to old habits)
I have started some good habits in 2010, though, aside from the flossing, that I will continue to do:
4) Eat breakfast. I have started eating breakfast. It probably isn't the healthiest breakfast in the world, but it is something. (June update: 100% It is now a habit.)
5) Moisturize. I have started using night cream in the evenings, and under-eye cream occasionally. I am in my 30's after all, and am starting to see wrinkles, although everyone tells me I look like I am 18. I use an SPF-containing lotion in the AM after washing my face, and a night cream in the PM after washing my face. I also use a facial exfoliator in the shower every day.
6) Daily, hour-long exercise. I do some sort of activity for an hour a day--walking, running, whatever.
I also want to start dressing better, more age-appropriately, and looking the part of the professional I am--but first I need to identify what exactly my style is and work around that. To that end, I want to start a sort of 'Style book' for myself--where I cut out or otherwise save the looks and styles I like, whether it be for architecture, clothing, or interior design. I know when something looks 'right' on me, or when I love something, but I don't know what defines my style, or if there are themes or layers in my taste. I'd like to get to know myself better in that regard.
Other non-financial goals...kind of a to-do list for 2011:
3) Back up computer when I go home and at Christmas.
4) Make recipe book (or Word doc, really) of meals. Include: turkey meatloaf (yum!), lemon pasta chicken (double yum!), BBQ chicken (sauce recipe), crockpot chili recipe, stir-fry with noodles recipe, etc.
5) Learn 3 new good recipes for my rotation.
12) Suggest 6 game nights, either at my place or elsewhere. March 25, May something, June 3, July 9, Aug. 13,
13) Finish visiting all Auckland volcanoes.
14) Make and finalize itinerary for Mom and sister's visit to NZ/Oz. (June update: done, just need flights to/from NZ for them, and to book Green Island trip when the time is closer--better discounts that way! Oct update: flights booked, all except Green Island trip booked)
17) Attend zumba class once a week.
18) Attend dance classes once a week (stretch/hip-hop/etc.).
19) Try a gluten-free diet for one week.
20) Check out audio tape of german from the library.
21) Finish my 1.5 L bottle of water a day.
22) Write in gratitude journal once a day.
23) Take career-enhancing class or workshop.
24) Get back to my 15 minute method.
25) Read 1 enriching/learning book a month.
26) Devote 1 hour a day to working out.
27) Cleanse face in AM and PM and apply night moisturizing cream or sunscreen as appropriate.
28) See a nutritionist. October 2011
29) Dermatologist mole mapping.
30) Hire a personal trainer.
As discussed above,
32) Floss daily.
33) Shut off computer by 11 pm.
34) Take showers instead of baths unless I need to soak muscles.
35) Eat breakfast.
36) Make a 'look book' for myself.
37) Dress up once per week.38) Organize music.
Any other tips?
1 comment:
In terms of your look-book, you might consider using Tumblr. That's originally what mine started as, a place to collect outfits that I loved and wanted to recreate. I followed a bunch of fashion Tumblrs and reblogged everything that appealed to me. If I saw something in a magazine, I could sometimes search the photographer/models and then have the computerized image to add to the blog.
Just a thought. Either way, best of luck with the goals!
Post a Comment