Thursday, August 19, 2010

Loyalty Vs Money

Before I left NZ for my epic 2 month vacation, I had happily secured a tenant for our garage, netting my roommate and I a cool $40 extra per week, and reducing our individual rents from $210 to $190 per week, which I think is in line with what the apartment is worth.  The tenant, a neighbor (neighbour?) of ours, is extremely nice and lives just three apartments down from us.  There have been no problems with him, communications and payment has been extremely smooth, and he agreed to EVERY demand we made of him, including asking for a security deposit for the garage door opener, dealing with sharing the space with our stuff (and our friends' stuff), and making do with no light (I have asked my landlord about this about 12 times, she still hasn't fixed it!!).

I actually think I offended him once when I reminded him that payment was due and I hadn't received it.  It was his second payment; the banks we use take a LONG time to communicate with one another, so I was concerned when payment didn't come through on the day expected.  Since then, he has paid a whole 4 days early, without fail.

Initially, he only needed the garage for a month, as he was expecting to move.  A week ago, he sent an email saying that he will use it for the next 3 months or so.

My roommate sent me an email yesterday, saying that she had talked to someone else about long-term tenancy for our garage, and that she was going to kick the original tenant out.  In our 'lease agreement' that I stole from the internet and modified, either one of us (lessee or lessor) can terminate the lease at any time for any reason, so this is totally legit, but it doesn't totally feel right.  I feel like he and I have a verbal agreement, but my roommate never met him (because I do EVERYTHING pertaining to our apartment and my roommate has been really lazy and uncooperative about meeting people, handymen, fire inspections, etc. lately).

So I'm a little torn about this.  Part of me hates to inconvenience anyone, or disappoint anyone, and I especially hate to do it to a tenant that has been so easy to work with.  Then again, a long-term tenant in that garage spot would guarantee an extra $1000/year, rather than just a few hundred for the next 3 months.  There is no guarantee we'd find a long-term tenant after the original tenant moved, either--it has taken over a year to get the garage rented out before now!

So I guess it is clear:  renting out the garage to the long-term tenant and kicking out the short-term one makes the most sense financially.  But that doesn't mean I feel good about it.

3 comments:

transit said...

Hello my friend! warm greeting!
your blog looks nice 0_0

by the way,
if you need to find unique fonts, you can go to our website.

best regards;

Anonymous said...

I would feel bad about it too! Can you get your roommate to do the dirty work and let him down? Haha.

Karen said...

Ooo, I agree with eemusings, let your roomie let him know. Besides, she's there and you're out of the country! :)