Friday, November 06, 2009

HSBC's Final Act

See here for background information.

When I went to look up the number to call HSBC about their bank error, I noticed that I had received the following email in return (NO mention of notaries, proving the charge, none of the paperwork listed in Single Ma's description of her experience...):

"Dear Sense,

Thank you for contacting HSBC Bank USA, N.A., the world's
local bank.


We apologize for the inconvenience caused. Your
request to reimburse the $10.00 fee on your Online Savings Account has been
processed. Please allow 2 business days for the credit to appear within
your available balance."



Hmmmm...fine--I'm getting my money back, but I'm still angry. A) I caught this error, through Single Ma, B) they never notified me of the error. What if I hadn't caught it and followed up? How many other people has this happened to, that just think it's their fault? How can they preferentially treat some customers to 'good' service, and not others? Especially since it would be so easy to include us on that email.

Here is the email I sent back:

Thank you for scheduling the reimbursement of $10 for the
overdraft fee I incurred on 10/30/09 for your error of processing a transfer
twice. I would also like to be reimbursed any interest that would have
accumulated during this time.

While I appreciate the swift resolution of the matter once it was brought
to HSBC's attention, why was I never initially notified of the error that took place on
October 30? I did not receive the email that went out about this error; I
happened to stumble across the news of the mass double transfer and that is
the only way I knew to follow up on this matter.

I should have been notified, along with all of your other customers that this happened to. If I was left off the notification email by accident, making this the second accident by HSBC in a week, that is, quite simply, too many accidents in too short of a time span. If I was purposely left off of this email, I find that to be an even more egregious error. Either way, I will be moving my money to another bank shortly, and will be calling HSBC
to express my extreme dissatisfaction with the way that this was handled.

I will definitely not be choosing HSBC nor its subsidiaries to handle my business in New Zealand, nor when I return to the US in the future.

Again, I am overseas in New Zealand currently. I can be reached at +64
21 XXX XXX during normal New Zealand hours (9 am to 7 pm) if you wish to
talk about this matter."


What do you think?

I think that something is fishy. Once that money is in my account, I am giving them a call and they will still get an earful. And I'm asking to be transferred to the manager straight up. And then I'm moving my money to ING.

No comments: