Monday, October 19, 2009

Too Busy

Back from another week of fieldwork.
Now that my boss has my report, she asked me to present it this Friday. At the same meeting that I'm arranging all the catering, A/V, etc for! So I'm organizing and presenting at this meeting, with a few days notice on the presenting front...sigh. When am I supposed to put together a fifteen minute talk in all that? Oy vey.
I mentioned that I didn't have time to put together my talk this week (Tues, Wed, and Thurs are chock-full of other activities and meetings at work), and she said not to worry about the powerpoint portion of the talk. Right...talk without slides? without an aid?

I'm not that good! I need slides and a laser pointer and pictures that illustrate my point! Not to mention that I haven't given an official talk in 6 years, not since I defended my master's.

I flat out do not want to do this. My boss said she'd be disappointed if I didn't, though. I'm hoping that I'll be so bad at it that she'll never ask me to present ever again. :)
Also, my other boss wants me to put together a talk for a big conference on Nov. 16. Right...I have this big talk this Friday, then 7 days in the field, then I have to present and organize another big meeting and talk for Boss #1 for Nov. 6 again, and then I have a week and then there's the conference. WHY don't these people give me more notice? I cannot put a talk together in a day. I said, absolutely not, I can't do that; I'm WAY too busy to put together a nice, polished talk for a conference THE WEEK BEFORE. Honestly.
So yeah. Venting. I do love my job, but hate talking and presenting. If only I could stay behind the scenes and do the fieldwork, written research, etc., I'd be a happy girl. Unfortunately, presenting is a part of this dealio. One that I will try my hardest to avoid and get out of, but one that I'll probably have to do from time to time.
Anyway, the fieldwork part of the past week was fun. Again, my field partner was still annoying. I have 9 more field days with her and she is driving me absolutely insane! I have to share an office with her while our other offices are being renovated, too. There's no escaaaaape! If I die in the next few weeks, it will be because of my head's exploded in an effort to just not hear her voice anymore, y'all. :)

5 comments:

Revanche said...

Um, first, please don't 'splode. Second, GOOD LUCK on your presentation. I have no idea how y'all sciency types do it, but I can't imagine having to present anything I'd put together for people. To Hear. I can barely handle people reading my writing.

But I wish you the best of all luck in getting it put together. Just think how awesome this could be for your career if your boss loved the presentation and thought you were absolutely the best candidate for anything you wanted because you showed up and knocked it out of the park? Or didn't do a terrible job? :) You know what I mean. Rootin' for ya.

Sense said...

ooh, did you hear joss is directing an episode of glee?

anyway, thanks for the support! I need it. Of course i'll do my best, and won't try to mess up on purpose, but I'm not so great at the talking to begin with, when I have a month to prepare! I now have 2 days to prep, on a subject that I know very little about. I'm also presenting this to experts in the field! aaaahhhh!

Anonymous said...

Lots of luck! I would totally be spazzing on that little notice - public speaking is second only to public nudity in my books. I know you'll be fine; you know your stuff, it's just a matter of getting it across to an audience.

Sense said...

ee: thanks! I took today off just to work on that talk. technically, I am working, but if I were in the office, I just wouldn't have time or the quiet to work on this talk properly. Oh boy. Back to the grind.

Revanche said...

Oh yeah, I did hear about him directing! This'll be interesting, I've only watched one or two episodes.

*breathe* :)