Monday, October 12, 2009

NZ Financial Downfalls

Ugh...even after being here a year, I am surprised when NZ doesn't have something that is standard in the rest of the modern world.

Take, for example, banks:

1) You don't get checkbooks; you are expected to do EVERYTHING online. And even then, there are fees for things like setting up automatic payments.

2) You cannot deposit money into an ATM. EVER. This amazing banking feature has not come to NZ yet. You have to go into the bank during their bank hours (9 - 5, M-F) to deposit checks. Yes, this means you have to take time off of work to deposit a check. Which, of course, is the standard way my company reimburses me; they refuse to just electronically deposit it, like my paycheck is.

3) And the latest in the series: I cannot link my 'everyday spending' account (I was admonished for calling it a 'checking account') CANNOT be linked to my savings account. Even though it was set up at the same exact time at the same bank, and even though when I log into my account, they show up right next to one another.

RiDONKulous. The whole point is that I keep money in my savings account, where it bears interest, and where it can be used in case I accidentally go over in my 'everyday spending' account!

So...back to keeping that $500 to $1000 buffer in my 'everyday spending'/checking account.

6 comments:

Revanche said...

Interesting ... and annoying ...! I wonder why those features in particular aren't standard in NZ. I suppose I could understand the employers refusing to upgrade their systems for direct deposit if they're not going to save money, considering the banks charge for auto-payments.

Hmm, how is the NZ postal system? P'raps they have a firm hold over the banking industry ;)

Anonymous said...

You get reimbursed by cheque??? That's BARBARIC!!

I've never had a chequebook and don't see I would ever need to, so can't comment. Fees for setting up APs are ridiculous though - I mean, $5, really??

At ASB most branches have a deposit slot - put your cash/cheque in there, fill out a few details and slide it into the machine. Means you don't have to go in during work hours.

Sense said...

NZ postal system also baffles me. they don't deliver on weekends, and they won't take mail from your mailbox--you have to physically go to a street-side mailbox to mail anything. oh, and it has to go in the correct slot--'fast' or 'regular.' and the fast has to have a sticker on it. ??

ee--ASB is awesome, then! kiwibank has no intention of ever getting deposit atm's, when I asked about it. kiwibank charges $2 or $3 per AP. Interesting...

Anonymous said...

Do you mean in the states you can leave mail in your letter box and posties pick it up from there? oh wow!!

Also, I thought mail was delivered on Saturday but not Sundays - has that changed? My postie friend worked 6 days a week - Sunday was her one day off.

I've sent fastpost letters before without the sticker. As long as you have the extra postage I think it's okay (although I write FASTPOST on the front for good measure).

Yeah, ASB has some neat functions, but Kiwibank seems to have lower fees. Thankfully I don't mess with my APs much :)

Sense said...

ee--Yup! in the US, you leave your mail to be mailed in your mailbox, stick up a little flag indicating that you have mail that needs to be picked up, and the mailman takes it and drops off your daily mail in its place.

It's a great system...I miss it. Although sometimes people steal the car insurance check that you intend to be mailed, wash it, and steal half your bank account. Not that that ever happened to me in 2002. :)

Sense said...

I've also never ever gotten mail on a saturday, causing me to think they don't deliver on Sats. ?? maybe it's just a slow mail day?