Basically, the incentives of the Kiwisaver are the following:
- you contribute 2%, 4%, or 8% of your before-tax income automatically to an investment company on the list of government-approved companies.
- Your employer matches 2% of your before-tax income.
- After 3 months, the government gives you a 'kick-start' of $1,000.
- Each year, the government also gives you up to $1,043 to make up for the taxes you pay on your contributions throughout the year. (They match how much you've contributed each year, so if you have only contributed $1,000, they only give you $1,000.)
- after contributing for 3 years, the government will give you $3000 towards the purchase of your first home (up to $5000 for 5 years of contributing)
- you can pull out your contributions to buy your first home after 3 years of contributing
Theoretically, my first year of contributing, I will have $3,052 dumped into my KiwiSaver, just for contributing 2% of my salary ($1,026), almost tripling my investment!
THAT, my friends, is a GREAT DEAL. Sign me up!
Therein lies the kicker: which company do I choose? How will taxes and fees affect my returns? What will happen if I leave NZ for good? And on and on...Answers in my next few posts.
2 comments:
I actually have the same question - what if we decide to leave NZ for good?
From what I know, and I'm not sure where I got this, we can take it out so long as we are leaving NZ for good. I don't remember where I read it :(
If you find the answer, do share please :)
Tasha: see my next post! Also, I can't post comments on your blog! :(
Post a Comment