Thursday, August 20, 2009

I Give Up

You guys all gave great advice when you told me not to let the heinous couple move in. Really great advice. I agree with you, actually. They gave me the name of their blog, and I went to it. It's not to my taste, and made me uncomfortable at various points due to some sexual references. How can I live with them?

But I have no other choice. NO ONE else has responded to my ads. And my ads are up EVERYWHERE--every internet site and every cafe, backpackers, notice boards around the city. I've double and triple checked the information in the ad and my contact information. I've written to people on share-accomodation and in every section of apartment-needed sites. I'm getting NOTHING. Nada. No response whatsoever. It has been over 2 weeks now. Two people have contacted me, one of whom turned me down. I am backed into a corner here.

Since I have to give 3 weeks notice to move out, and due to the way that XBF-my rent payment schedule shakes down, I would have to pay the Sept. 11 rent on my own no matter what. Therefore, I told myself that I had until tomorrow (3 weeks before Sept. 11) to make a decision re: moving out or staying put, entirely based on whether I can find someone else to move in or not. Since I can't find anyone, I guess I'm moving.

However, I've been scouring the ads for places I could move to with the similar or less rent and the same amenities that I enjoy now. I haven't found many, and those I do find, have already found someone to move in by the time I contact them. So I'm going to keep searching, but in the meantime, I'd have to pay the whole rent until I found a place. $435 a week. BY MYSELF.

I can't do that. I just can't. That's way over a paycheck a month for me.

So. With a heavy heart, I contacted the heinous couple. They are still looking for a place.

I have a lot of fieldwork coming up, and won't have time to move in the next couple of months. I'll keep looking when I have time, but in the meantime, I guess I am staying put until I find another place that is PERFECT.

And I guess I'm offering the place to the heinous couple tomorrow, unless someone contacts me in the next 24 hours and is marginally better than this couple. I'm praying to God right now that that happens.

Plus sides to couple moving in:
My rent would go down by $150/mo. Electricity and internet should decrease by a LOT. That's it--the only upside to all this is financial. I guess I should count my blessings.

*Sob.* My awesome apartment with everything I could ask for, invaded!

Ugh. I DO NOT feel good about this; my gut is rarely wrong. Maybe it won't be as bad as I think it will be? I will give them a chance until Sept. 10 (when my fieldwork starts), then decide whether to move out or not.

Moving sucks. But bad roommates can suck even worse.

4 comments:

Sam said...

I had a roommate that I had a bad gut feeling about. Remember the one from last year? The evil B that kicked my dog? :( Roommate situations completely suck. I really hope something else works out for you!! Keeping my fingers & toes crossed!

Revanche said...

Augh! Keep looking for places! Can you get out of the lease once they move in?

Sense said...

Yeah, i just have to give 3 weeks notice before I move out! If I want i can move out before then but I then forfeit my bond (security deposit).

I'll keep looking...

Sense said...

sarah, yeah, I DO remember your horrible roommate experience! sounds awful. thanks for the good thoughts!