Wednesday, March 25, 2009

Complaining Pays Off, In More Ways Than One

When I complained about my dental visit a little while ago on this blog, I also put my sentiments into a letter written on the Lumino site feedback form. I very nicely explained my disatisfaction with my visit, and how horribly inept I found the dentist's technique to be.

I hate to get anyone in trouble at their job, especially someone that was nice to me and really tried, and honestly, I wasn't sure that anything would come of my complaint...but I felt that I needed the company to know how I felt, and hopefully the complaints would add up to some change if others felt the same way.

Anyway, I got a phone call today from the head office of Lumino. They read my letter, were trying to figure out what to do, and sincerely apologized for my experience. Not only that, they decided to run it by their head manager, who managed all the offices on the North Island of NZ, and she tentatively approved refunding my cleaning fee of $95. (I didn't ASK for that specifically, btw--I said that I was happy with the other portions of my visit, but not the cleaning, and said that I hoped that they'd take my complaint into consideration, as I was moving on to another dental office for my next visit.)

So, I gave them my bank details over the phone (which isn't taboo here in NZ, btw--EVERYONE that pays you and that you pay have your bank details, but payments have to be initiated by YOU). They are also sending me my X-rays, since I wouldn't be coming back to their office.

Apparently the head manager was going to meet with them and they'd discuss my letter sometime this week to try and improve the situation.

WOW! I may stand corrected on my view of NZ businesses in general and the Lumino company in specific--this is certainly the largest reaction I've gotten from any company that I've complained to. Usually, I get a $25 gift card and a form letter on the rare occasions that I truly feel inspired to complain!

1 comment:

Revanche said...

Wow, that's pretty cool! I'm glad you sent feedback, because that dentist's technique sounded awful. A refund is great, sending him for more training might be even better in the long run :P