I haven't found a good calculator out there that figures out your effective tax rate yet (I may try to create a code for one if I get ambitious), so I did it by hand:
I made $41,962 last year. Roughly $600 of it was in interest income! Gotta love those high rates (but it's oh so sad when they decrease).
It's crazy, because you not only have the federal and state taxes, but also Medicare, Social Security, and in the state of California, CA State disability insurance. So while my federal tax rate is a measly 11.28%, my overall effective tax rate was almost 24% last year.
Here's how it breaks down:
My Flexible Savings Account for medical expenses like prescription copays is not taxed. Nor are medical insurance premiums. These amounts are taken straight off the top.
Medicare takes a flat 1.45% out of your paycheck (minus FSA and medical insurance premiums)--meaning, no matter how much you put in your 401K, they still tax the whole amount you make by 1.45%. There is no income cap or contribution limit, they can tax you all day long and you can't do a dang thing about it.
Social Security tax adds another 6.2% to your effective tax rate. so far, the tax rate totals 7.65%--not even counting your federal and state taxes yet! My sister and father actually benefit from this one, as they are both on disability, so I just pretend the money is going to them. The income cap is $102,000 for 2008, meaning of a salary of $103K, $102K is taxed for social security at a rate of 6.2%. This one is also straight off the top--401K contributions are also taxed. It must be nice for those that make more than $102K and actually see the benefit of the cap. Hrmph.
In California, we add another 0.6% into the mix for the state disability insurance (CA SDI). It increased to 0.8% for 2008, and the income cap on this one is $86,698 for 2008. 401K contributions are taxed.
So, at this point, 8.25% of my 2007 income WITH 401K contributions is gone through taxes!
In 2007, I paid roughly 4.2% of my income to the state of California for income taxes. Thankfully, my 401K contributions are not counted as income in the state of CA--apparently this is not always the case in other states. They operate on a tiered income tax bracket, much like the Federal tax system.
And, finally, the Feds took 11.28% of my hard-earned money to pay for the Iraq War.
In total, I calculated that 23.7% of my money went to various taxes. This percentage doesn't include medical insurance premiums, so I actually got paid much less than the remaining 76.3%.
Basically, I feel that the financial industry lied to me--or I didn't do my homework. I realized:
1) My 401K contributions are NOT "PRE-TAX." Argh. I wish it wasn't in the literature as such so much. I still have to pay CA SDI, SS, and Medicare taxes on them RIGHT NOW. This makes the Roth an even more attractive option for me. I do get out of paying state income taxes on the contributions, though. I guess a good strategy is to move to a state with no state income taxes and a low sales tax when I retire. Also, a question to ask is, "Do I pay SS and Medicare and CA SDI when I start taking money out of my 401K?"
2) My FSA and medical insurance premiums are completely tax-free. This is nice.
As a quick comparison, the 2007 tax rate in New Zealand is 19.5% for every dollar up to $38K, and 33% for every dollar between $38K and $60K. No idea if they do, like, province or city or local taxes, but using that criteria, my effective tax rate in New Zealand would have been less than 21% in 2007 (I did not convert US $ to NZ $)...and they have a MUCH better health care system, from what I've heard.
Also, they levy some sort of tax (1.3%) to pay for their version of national disability insurance, run by the government's "Accident Compensation Corporation," which supports citizens, residents, and temporary visitors who have suffered accidental injuries (like in car wrecks, trips, slips, falls...I guess the only thing this doesn't cover is long term illnesses like diabetes or cancer). Up to 80% of your previous salary is paid out after you've been out of work for a week, the cost of treatment is paid, and even home or vehicle modifications for the seriously injured are paid for (info from Wikipedia). So my final tally for NZ would STILL be lower, at 22%--and I would have disability insurance and a better health care system at my disposal. Perhaps Muirie and other NZ readers can help me out with the fine details there (like how hard it is to get the accident coverage, and other taxes you pay over there).
New Zealand is looking ever more attractive in this light.
3 comments:
Well,
There are no regional or city taxes, there is a Goods and Services Tax of 12.5% on everything that you buy (but is included in the price that you see as a consumer)
ACC covers you for basically anything that is caused by an accident. If you are going through the process to become a permanent resident(?) then Public hospitals are free as well - but you only really go in an emergency. I currently pay $15 a visit to see my doctor, (we have something called PHO which makes them your preferred doctor, otherwise it is $45 a visit)
Prescriptions are pretty cheap as well (I pay $15 every 3/6 months for each of my medications depending on how much I get prescribed each time)
Dentists are pay as you go.. and are pretty expensive (I haven't been in a few year - bad I know - so not sure exactly how much)
What sort of job are you going to be looking for when you get over here? I have a friend that works in recruitment and could get some salary averages for you if you want?
Thanks, muirie! that's so helpful!
Well, as far as jobs go, I guess i'll be looking for whatever I can get at first...I've heard it's hard for non-New Zealanders to get work. You guys have McDonald's down there, right? (i'm only half joking).
I am in the environmental consulting field currently (basically I test and clean up groundwater/soil for large companies that have 'accidentally' spilled and gotten caught by the EPA). Although, I don't particularly enjoy that work, so I'd like to try something else if possible.
My degree is in geology so I'd love to do anything related to that. I'd especially LOVE LOVE LOVE to work with the geohazard mitigation program (GNS?) down there--i went to grad school in hawaii and volcanoes are my specialty. Working with kids and/or the public to figure out how the best way to present scientific knowledge to them--with the goal of getting them as prepared as possible for an emergency--would be my dream job. I think the GNS is based in the southern portion of the North Island, though, and I'll be in Auckland, so that may be impossible.
But now I'm rambling. I'd love any help you could give--I'm thankful you came from the WIR to check my blog out!
Well there are heaps of volcanoes in Auckland, but all dormant (as far as I know!)
I guess the big thing to think about NZ is it is really small comparatively to the US.. the lower north island is generally Taupo south through till Wellington and Taupo is only 3-4 hours drive from Auckland, Wellington is probably 8ish hours.
I have had friends from Australia that just can't get used to being able to drive from one end of the island to the other in a day.
There is a government organisation that does a lot of the education to do with natural disasters called Civil Defence (http://www.civildefence.govt.nz/)
I'm sure I will think of other stuff, so may post again later :)
Post a Comment