There is a girl in one of my classes: she's smart, she's outgoing, she's one of the nicest people I've met in a while, but she is having a really hard time. I can't say that I know the whole story, but I do know a few things--she's sleeping on her friend's floor, she's maxed out her student loans, she's a senior about to graduate next spring, she's taking a full load AND holding down a part time job making about $15/hr, working the one full day she has left over after classes every week. Working on the weekends is not an option because we have field trips every weekend for our class. The problem is, the friend who's floor she is sleeping on is keen on getting her out...and she doesn't have the money to do so.
She's bewildered as to what to do. She'll be fine after January, when her loans come in, but between now and then, what should she do?? Oh, and she's in her lower 30's, divorced, and spent the little money she had left after her husband left her paying her mom's medical bills...her mom died recently. Her dad lives ten states away and can't help her out financially. She doesn't have the money to come up with first/last month's rent and security deposit.
What in the world can a person do in this situation except for rely on the kindness of her friends?? I would totally offer her my couch for a few weeks if I thought my BF wouldn't go crazy--plus our place is tiny. I still may offer her our place, with BF's permission, if both of us go away for Christmas week. I need someone to water my plants. :)
Actually, she's pretty lucky: this situation is very temporary--she'll be fine once her loans come in in about two months, and then after that she'll have the time to get a full-time job. It's just sad that there's nowhere for her to go right now. I feel so horrible for her, I wished I were rich enough to do a random act of kindness and send some $$ to her to get her started, like this lady does with her lotto winnings.
No comments:
Post a Comment